Leuchars Community Website


Earlshall Castle



Earlshall Castle has its origins in the 16th C. The origin of the name could date back to the Earls of Fife. Earlshall is slightly different from the standard L-plan tower house since it has an oval tower on one of the external angles and a stair tower in the re-entrant angle. Construction began in 1546 by Sir William Bruce and was completed by his great-grandson of the same name in 1617. The castle fell into disrepair and was rescued in 1891 when Sir Robert Lorimer started the restoration.


Leuchars Community Website

This project is supported by Leuchars Community Council [April 2007 - present]